Sunday, April 26, 2015

White-tailed Antelope Squirrel at Trout Stalker Ranch, Chama, NM - April 19. 2015

On a recent visit to Trout Stalker Ranch my friend Wyatt and I observed a squirrel that I wasn't familiar with. I finally had a chance to do a bit of research on it today and have identified it as a White-tailed Antelope Squirrel Ammospermophilus leucurus

I'll have to do some more investigating, but it seems that this species isn't supposed to be in the Chama River Valley. The closest the range maps show it coming to Chama is over by Navaho Lake, which is approximately 80 miles to the west. That doesn't sound like that much, but it means that the squirrel has crossed over some rugged mountain range terrain and found its way at least as far as the ranch!

If I find out more information I'll post it but for now another exciting find at Trout Stalker!

White-tailed Antelope Squirrel

No comments: