Monday, April 27, 2015

Snowy Egret, Long-billed Dowitcher, and Solitary Sandpiper, Santa Fe County, NM - April 27, 2015

The last of the storm that brought much needed rain to our part of New Mexico finally left the state today and brought havoc to points further east.

The wind has remained out of the north and the low this morning at my house was a chilly 38 degrees F. Seeing I had a lot to do I decided to give birding a day off. You don't believe that do you?

Actually I had to head into town and decided to make a quick stop at the Marty Sanchez City Golf Course, which has an accessible pond for birders.


Storm clouds over the pond at Marty Sanchez Golf Course
The storm clouds were still hanging over the mountains making for a beautiful backdrop. At first I didn't see anything on the pond except for a couple of KILLDEERS, several AMERICAN COOT, and a lone MALLARD.

Well I was there so I decided to walk around the small pond and check out the vegetation at the other end. There wasn't anything there either, but when I looked back to where I was just standing I was shocked to see a LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER! How did I miss it!


Long-billed dowitcher
 Being lazy I left the camera in the car so I trundled back to the parking lot and for the 100th time scolded myself for leaving it behind. Anyway I walked back up on the berm and was stunned to see that now there was a breeding plumage SNOWY EGRET! I couldn't believe it. Two Santa Fe County year birds right in front of me.


Snowy Egret

Snowy Egret

Snowy Egret
The egret flew across the pond in better light so I decided to get closer for some shots. After taking taking some pics I slung the camera over my shoulder and right there in front of me was a SOLITARY SANDPIPER! I was afraid to leave fearing what else was hiding in plain sight!


Solitary Sandpiper


Solitary Sandpiper about to take flight


Solitary Sandpiper flight shadow
Yesterday's Nashville Warbler, Dusky Flycatcher, Scott's Oriole, and Bank Swallow together with today's egret and dowitcher bring my Santa Fe County year list to 164.

No comments: