Monday, April 27, 2015

Semipalmated Plover, Western Sandpipers, Willets, and Owls! Santa Fe County, NM - April 24, 2015

This past Friday, April 24th,  I got a call from my friend Bernie Foy that he had a Semipalmated Plover and a small flock of Willets at the water treatment ponds at Santa Fe Community College. It was around 2:15 p.m. and I had just pulled into my driveway after a rainy morning of birding at the Rio Grande River at Buckman. 

This is only the 4th record of Semipalm in Santa Fe County. Jonathan Batkin found one that I got to see a few years ago. I hurried over the college ponds, which I had never been to before. 

Bernie was nice enough to wait for me and we started scanning the ponds. We didn't see the plover, but there were 3 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, two of which were in exquisite breeding plumage. We also quickly got on the flock of 8 WILLETS. 


Semipalmated Plover with Willets
Semipalmated Plover, Western Sandpiper and attention seeking Barn Swallow!

Also on the ponds were good numbers of BARN SWALLOWS, a few NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS and a PIED-BILLED GREBE.

While we were standing there I looked up and was stunned to see the SEMIPALMATED PLOVER flying overhead! It landed back near Bernie had first observed it and we were able to get fairly close and take lots of pics.

My favorite pic is of the Western Sandpiper standing next to the semipalm while being photo bombed by a Barn Swallow!

When the excitement ebbed a bit Bernie told me about both a Long-eared Owl and Great Horned Owl  nest that were just a short distance apart.

I thanked Bernie for the call and the owl tip and was once again on my way. I arrived at the site and followed Bernie's directions and after a few minutes of searching was able to find the abandoned raven nest with the female LONG-EARED OWL'S tail sticking out!

After enjoying watching the long-eared for a while I headed the short distance and was able to find and get pics of the mom GREAT HORNED OWL and her "little" one.

Long-eared Owl on nest

Great Horned Owl and baby
Pretty good day!

No comments: