Friday, April 17, 2015

Search for Western Gull at Elephant Butte Lake State Park, Sierra County, NM - April 15, 2015

While I was in Florida New Mexico's third record of Western Gull (an immature) was found at Elephant Butte Lake near the city of Elephant Butte and the better known city of Truth or Consequences.

It was first found by my friends Wyatt Eglehoff and Christopher Rustay, but they were unsure of its identification. Wyatt sent his pics to Nick Pederson who suggested others take a look. Wyatt then forwarded his pics to gull expert Peter Pyle whom identified it as a first cycle (maybe molting to second cycle) Western Gull.

Soon after Nick Pederson and Matt Bauman refound the bird in T or C (unfortunately sitting atop a Motel 6 roof). Consequently others found the bird back along the beach at Elephant Butte Lake in the State Park.

On Wednesday, April 15th, I left the house at 3:30 a.m. and arrived at the lake at 6:50 a.m. I started at Rock Canyon Marina (where the bird was initially found) and worked my way along the lake shore (with a few forays to the Motel 6 a few miles away in T or C) for the next 10 hours! My second stop was at the Elephant Butte Lake Dam. I had heard that it was a beautiful spot and wasn't disappointed.

Part of Elephant Butte Lake with Elephant Butte way off in the distance

Elephant Butte Lake Dam at dawn
There was no sign of the gull and I'm convinced it either died (it had a bad leg and some pretty messed up primaries) or moved on. The bird was last seen on Sunday, April 12th.

However, I had a great day birding. I've never birded at Elephant Butte Lake State Park or even Sierra County for that matter. The state park is a sprawling site with lots of lake shore and ample camping. Check it out! http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/elephantbuttelakestatepark.html I also renewed my annual NM state park pass which is a bargain for $40.00.

It took over half of the day, but I finally saw the ELEPHANT that gives the butte its name!

The elephant that gives the butte its name. Can you see it? Keep trying, its there!!
The day started out pleasant and it was absolutely beautiful as I stood above the EBL Dam. There were a couple hundred CLIFF SWALLOWS swirling in organized chaos along the dams irresistible nooks and crannies.

The day became warm by mid-morning and by early afternoon it was 80 degrees F and the wind was starting to blow. The wind would never stop and by 2:30 it was howling! Massive clouds of stinging stand obstructed the view and stung my face. The lake had white caps!

I was surprised to see so many Gambel's Quail. They were running around and calling everywhere. Some residents had up to 20 at feeders in their yards!

Male Gambel's Quail running around!
That said the gulls were active most of the day. I kept seeing the same sets of gulls including a stunning adult CALIFORNIA GULL. It was a great study in direct comparison of the RING-BILLED GULLS. I was able to get pics of the underwings showing the diagnostic gray secondaries.

California Gull

California Gull showing gray secondaries on underwing

Comparison between Ring-billed Gull and California Gull
The western would have been a state bird so I was bummed to miss it, but I wasn't shut out! I observed a BLACK-TAILED GNATCATCHER which after checking my records later turned out to be a state bird too! I'm nearing 400 - stay tuned!

Here are the 56 species seen:

Canada Goose 6
Mallard 4
Northern Shoveler 75
Green-winged Teal 13
Lesser Scaup 26
Gambel's Quail 22
Western Grebe 16
Clark's Grebe 2
Western/Clark's Grebe 25
Double-crested Cormorant 7
American White Pelican 3
Great Blue Heron 3
White-faced Ibis 31
Turkey Vulture 6
Osprey 3
Swainson's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot  40
American Avocet 7
Willet 4
Long-billed Dowitcher 6
Long-billed Curlew 1
Ring-billed Gull 2
California Gull 1
Rock Pigeon 4
Eurasian Collared-Dove 10
White-winged Dove 8
Mourning Dove 6
Say's Phoebe 3
Cassin's Kingbird 1
Western Kingbird 3
Plumbeous Vireo 1
American Crown 3
Chihuahuan Raven 2
Common Raven 8
raven sp 4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3
Tree Swallow 20
Violet-green Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 12
Cliff Swallow 250
Verdin 2
Cactus Wren 1
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher 1
Curve-billed Thrasher 1
Northern Mockingbird 3
European Starling 4
American Pipit 7
Lucy's Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Green-tailed Towhee 1
Canyon Towhee 2
Cassin's Sparrow 2
Brewer's Blackbird 8
Great-tailed Grackle 12
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
House Finch 6
House Sparrow 17

No comments: